sysvinit; cleaning

I had a problem at boot time yesterday that I had never seen
before. Since the California energy-`crisis' I typically shut down at
the end of the day's work.

When I re-booted yesterday morning, everything went as normal until
bootmisc.sh began to clean out the /tmp directory. At that point, the
system hung and refused to respond to any keyboard input. I left it in
that state for more than 10 minutes, then, not knowing what else to
do, I powered down and rebooted.  The re-boot was completely normal
except that fsck was called to check the partitions that had been
mounted and then not cleanly unmounted when I powered down.

/tmp is not on its own partition, so I don't think that the problem had
to do with mounting.

I can think of no reason why there would have been anything strange or
unusual in /tmp from the previous day's activities.

I've gone through kern.log, syslog and so on but not found any
relevant messages. I've also looked in the bug-list for sysvinit and
not seen anything very similar there.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before? Thanks for any help.

Jim

The system:
-------
up-to-date Debian `testing'; kernel 2.4.17 (self-compiled);
-------
Mainboard:      Tyan Trinity K7 S2380
CPU:            AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
Memory:         Delta Omega Siemens   PC-133 128MB
SCSI HBA:	Tekram DC390U2W PCI
Boot HD:        Seagate 9.1GB LVD
-------
Disk partitions: