Re: 100mbit nic: intel or 3com?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 05:40:52PM +0100, Victor Julien wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to build a debian based router/gateway/fileserver/mailserver for a
> home network with 12 clients. It will be quite low budget as the server is a
> Pentium 166Mhz. I want the network to be 100mbit fullduplex, so I want to buy
> a Nic for the server. Which one is best for maximum performance and
> stability? Intel, 3com, SMC or just a cheap Realtek? I think the nic should
> be using the cpu as little as possible...
> Thanks for your advice,
> Victor Julien

Well I'm a poor student... so I started with Netgear FA311's which are
terrible and gave me a *LOT* of agro -> steer well clear (hint: they drop

I've now got a pair of realtek's which are a damn site better, but I still
have problems with enbd under high load, which I suspect are attributed to
them. Plus when one machine is under high load, an ssh can take up to 15
seconds to connect.

I don't know any of the more expensive ones - can't afford them myself.
At work we use Intel and 3com nics in the big machines and realteks in
the small machines. Switches are 3com, SMC and Intel.

Matthew Sackman

BOFH Excuse Board:
positron router malfunction