Re: Fwd: Re: Samba clarification

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:11:39AM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> [...]

You do have a valid argument, but it doesn't hold a lot of weight in
this case.  (To exaggerate it some : "if I have one machine with an
ethernet driver, why must I configure ethernet on the others too?")
Do you realize that _all_ windows machines have samba on them and must
be configured right?  On all your linux boxes must have some print
spooler (you have choosen LPRng, I use CUPS) which must be configured
right.

Here's a possible solution for you :

    o   one linux box with LPRng and Samba
    o   all other linux boxen with LPRng with all queues using the
        LPD protocol and handing jobs off to the "gateway"
    o   the gateway redirects the LPD print job through samba if a
        windows machine has the printer connected to it or spools it
        itself if it has the printer or the printer is
        network-connected (ie HP JetDirect)

I think it would be simpler for you if you used CUPS because it has
"browse" and "discovery" capabilities.  This would allow you to manage
all spools (assuming no workstation has a printer connected directly)
on it and the workstations need no maintenance.  It would also be
easier (probably) to put samba on the linux boxes.  You haven't tried
to claim that putting LPRng on each linux box is foolish, so what
makes putting samba there foolish?

-D

--

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be