Re: /var/spool/mail and now /var/mail

At 01:21 PM 2/1/2002 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> Ok, when I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade two days ago /var/mail
> was created, but I still have /var/spool/mail also and that's where my
> system says I have mail when it comes in. what's the deal here?

The deal is that new systems get /var/mail, and old systems get a /var/mail
symlink to /var/spool/mail.  All Debian packages are now to try to reference
the spool as /var/mail, but the old configuration (/var/spool/mail) is fully
supported.

Is there somewhere that explains the reasoning behind this?? I've only been in *nix for 10-12 years and on every system I've been on it's been /var/spool/mail (until I went to cyrus).

--
Till Later,
Jake