Trying to install version 2.1 on my laptop (je parle aussi français)

Hi,

This is my first attempt to install Linux ever, and this from the CD
coming with the book Installing Debian GNU/Linux (version 2.1).  I have
a Fujitsu laptop with a CDROM drive, a floppy drive and a 4Gb harddrive
which i repartitionned using PartitionMagic 7.0 (i kept 2Gb for Windows
on hda1 and created a Linux and a Linux swap partitions on hda5 and hda6
on the remaining space, the swap partition being a little bigger than
the 128Mb allowed by the version of Debian).

Since i wasn't able to boot from the CDROM, i used rawrite2 to make a
rescue diskette and a drivers diskette (i used the tecra version for
both, 'cause i read somewhere it suited laptops better).  My problem
now, is that when i boot with the rescue diskette and try to install
Debian, the installation software blocks on the "Install base system"
part.  When asked to say where to install it from, i tried first by
referring to the CDROM (hdc), and then to the harddisk (on which i
copied, from the CDROM, the directory on which resides the base2_1.tgz
file).  Alas, the installation software, after telling me it was
decompressing the file, proposes me, again, to install the base system
!  To be sure, i tried to pass to the next step "Configure base system",
but the software replied : "To configure the base system, you have to
install it first".

I have no idea what to try next, except asking the Debian User Community
!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fred (flemire@cam.org)

P.S. By the way, can someone explain me how the kernel code can be
stored on the first 1024 cylinders of a disk ?  The figure 3.1 of the
book doesn't help me much.  1024 x 16 x 63 x 512 equals ruffly half a
gigabyte, no ?  Then how can the partitioning of the figure 3.1 resolve
the problem, since all partitions it shows have more than half a
gigabyte ?