keyboard issues on debian => RH sessions -- inputrc?

I'm having some issues with input and display artifacts on ssh sessions
from a Debian box to several RH boxen here at work.

Typically, a shell session works OK, but vi, vim, and less have problems
usually with backspace keys (backspace/delete seem to be mapped oddly).
This also seems to be related to my use of rxvt (most folks here use
gnome-term).

For stty settings, I'm seeing the following delta between an rxvt an a
gnome-term session:

    $ diff stty-gnome-term stty-rxvt
    2c2
    < intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
    ---
    > intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;

I recall a similar issue in the past involving .inputrc or /etc/inputrc,
which on RH seems to not care for certain Debian shells or terminals.

Anyone else run into this or have a general fix?

Thanks.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org