Kernel 2.4.17 3dfx /dev/fb0

I am running kernel 2.4.17 with 3dfx support for a Voodoo 3500 TV card
compiled directly into the kernel.
During boot I see
[drm] Initialized tdfx 1.0.0 20010216 on minor 0 but I don't think I
have /dev/fb0?

How can I determine if this support is functioning properly?  Is there a
/proc area I cat cat?  I have tried using mplayer with -vo fdfxfb and I
get message:
vo_3dfx->init(): can't open /dev/fb0, No such device.
I have tried /dev/MAKEDEV fb0 but to no avail.  I see /dev/fb0 (it
exist) but does not appear to be functioning

Lance

--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                              lance@augustmail.com

The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that
certain other
                            sets of psople are human
                                       -
                                 Aldous Huxley