Re: graphics processing progs ???

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:37:31PM -0600, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
[...]
> I am pushing for this to be a Linux server.
>
> I am looking for recommendations for the following types of software to:
>
> [1] Convert an image between various formats (e.g., jpg -> png, &c.)
> This software must:
>     [a] Convert between many graphics formats with minimum resolution
> loss;
>     [b] Convert images between various sizes and resolutions;
>     [c] Be automatable, preferably via CLI.
>
> [2] Animate a set of images.  This software must:
>     [a] Deal effectively with high resolution images;
>     [b] Allow automatic replay (i.e., tape loop);
>     [c] Output to file formats readily available on wintel and mac
> platforms;
>     [d] Be automatable, preferably via CLI.

You can do all of this using the Gimp and script-fu. Though most folks use
the Gimp interactively, there is a batch mode which can be used
non-interactively. The real power is that you can do anything that the Gimp
can do (a lot) and have a real programming language (script-fu, a lisp
dialect). There is no need for local display hardware. One of the authors of
the Gimp runs an online photo service using a cluster of headless gimp
servers hooked up to a web form interface.

See:
	http://manual.gimp.org
	http://lugod.org/presentations/gimp2/

--