fetchmail problems

I am perplexed here. Pop seems to be working.

ted@albert:~$ fetchmail -c
Enter password for ted.knab@pop.washcoll.edu:
fetchmail: 5.9.6 querying pop.washcoll.edu (protocol POP3) at Tue Jan 29
01:21:08 2002: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK BlitzMail POP3 Server Ready.
fetchmail: POP3> USER ted.knab
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Please send PASS command.
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK You are signed on as Ted Knab
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 125 1532472
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0
125 messages for ted.knab at pop.washcoll.edu (1532472 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: 5.9.6 querying pop.washcoll.edu (protocol POP3) at Tue Jan 29
01:21:11 2002: poll completed
fetchmail: normal termination, status 0

When I try to retrieve them, I get this.

fetchmail: POP3< +OK
reading message ted.knab@pop.washcoll.edu:1 of 125 (1523 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to /usr/sbin/sendmail
%T#********************.************** not flushed
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 2
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
reading message ted.knab@pop.washcoll.edu:2 of 125 (1321 octets)
fetchmail: message delimiter found while scanning headers
# not flushed
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 3
fetchmail: POP3< Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii;
format=flowed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
fetchmail: client/server protocol error while fetching from
pop.washcoll.edu
fetchmail: 5.9.6 querying pop.washcoll.edu (protocol POP3) at Tue Jan 29
01:23:28 2002: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=4 (PROTOCOL) #Some sort of fatal protocol error was detected.
fetchmail: normal termination, status 4

Any ideas ?

.fetmailrc
set no bouncemail