Re: What's the best way to pull a package from unstable to a Woody system?

--- Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@home.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 22:58, tluxt wrote:
> > I want a method that will not cause apt to get confused about this and
> > other sw once I install the Sid package.
> >
> > Specifically:  I have kghostview installed on the woody system.  That
> > sw has a malfunction, and from the bug report info on kghostview I see
> that
> > Sid has a newer package that might fix the problem.
> >
> > So, how do I get that Sid kghostview on properly, without confusing apt?
> >
> > Also, where (if anywhere) is the appropriate doc that I could have read
> > that explains this concept?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > PS: I know there is something about "pinning", but right now I want
> > to have (if possible) a less involved way of accomplishing this task.
> > So, is there a way to do it without pinning?
>
> I created 2 sources.list files:
> # dir source*
> lrwxrwxrwx root root  18 Jan 27 18:33 sources.list -> sources.list.woody
> -rw-r--r-- root root 516 Jan 27 16:05 sources.list.sid
> -rw-r--r-- root root 588 Jan 26 19:46 sources.list.woody
>
> Of course, each sources.list.* refers to the relevant distribution
> directories.  So, when I want to grab something from sid, I soft
> link sources.list -> sources.list.sid, do "apt-get update", and
> grab what I want.  Then, soft link back to sources.list.woody and
> "apt-get update".
>
> If you are only grabbing the same few pkgs out of sid, you could
> easily script it.

Thanks for the info!

I am concerned, though, that this method might somehow confuse
apt: It wouldn't know, after you switched the sources.list, that it used
to be pointing to the other distribution.  Then, if there are package
depends, it might start pulling in packages that conflict with other
packages.

Do you know for sure that your method wouldn't cause apt to get confused?
If so, how do you know?  If not, how can we find out the answer to that
question?  :)