Re: dual booting?

On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 19:00, ab.boonstra wrote:
> Where would I go about info on installing Debian on my HD along side WindowsME?
> I have a Pentium3  766mh, 192Ram, 20GigHD. ( Not partitioned )
Now is the 20 gig hd going to be for both debian and ME?  Cause if it is
all you need to do is partition it with say 10 gigs for windows and a
385 mb linux swap partition and the rest give to linux(ext2) as its root
partition.  Then install windows.  Make sure windows only takes the
first partition.  After this install debian(I recomend doing a net
install of woody).  When prompted to install the boot record by lilo
tell it to install it into the MBR.  Then go back and edit
/etc/lilo.conf and add windows into it useing the chain loader.  Also
extend the time out and rerun lilo.  After this you should be able to
dual boot into either OS.
Now if the 20 gig is just for linux.  Then you need to give windows the
primary master spot and put the new 20 gig into an open spot on your IDE
bus.  Then do the swap partition and give ext2 for the rest.  At this
point you should be able to follow the rest of my directions.
Here are some examples of what you need to add and change.
lilo.conf:
delay=200 #this is a 20 second delay
other=dev/hda1
	label=WindowsME

fstab:
/dev/hda1 /win vfat defaults,user 0 0#this is to mount windows partition

hope this helps

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu

 "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty: power is ever stealing from
the many to the few.  The manna of popular liberty must be gathered each
day, or it is rotten... The hand entrusted with power becomes, either
from human depravity or esprit de corps, the necessary enemy of the
people.  Only by continual oversight can the democrat in office be
prevented from hardening into a despot: only by unintermitted agitation
can a people be kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty
be smothered in material prosperity... Never look, for an age when the
people can be quiet and safe.  At such times despotism, like a shrouding
mist, steals over the mirror of Freedom"
- Wendell Phillips