Re: root password forgotten

this technique ( init=/bin/sh, with a remount, edit passwd ) has worked for me in
the past as well, also, dont forget to umount after you are done, and
perhaps a sync

this is a cool trick, that emphisises the importance of physical security

darrell

mjinks@uchicago.edu wrote:

One thing you can do: hold left shift during boot to get a prompt, and
at the "LILO:" prompt enter "Linux init=/bin/sh" (possibly replacing
"Linux" with another image name if your box doesn't have the default).

The root fs will come up read-only.  To be able to mount other
filesystems and otherwise bring the box to a usable state,

mount -o rw,remount /

HTH.
-m