Re: Again: Most programs don't run. Please help!

On Saturday 26 January 2002 04:25 pm, Andreas Goesele wrote:
[snip]
> I was thinking of that. But to my uneducated eye entries in cron.d,
> cron.daily, cron weekly and cron.monthly looked rather inoffensive. Or
> is there something in the following lists which could be the offender?
> Is there some other "source" of cron jobs? (anacrontab and crontab
> only start the jobs in these directories.)
>
> cron.daily:
>
> 0anacron, 5snort, apache, calendar, cfengine, dwww, exim, find,
> logrotate, man-db, mgetty, modutils, netbase, netkit-inetd, standard,
> sysklogd, tetex-bin, tripwire-1.2
>
> cron.d:
>
> anacron, exim, logcheck, postgresql, shaper, tiger
>
> cron.weekly:
>
> 0anacron, apt-move, cfengine, cfingerd, cvs, dpkg-mountable, efax, htdig,
> lpr, man2html, man-db, sysklogd
>
> cron.monthly:
>
> 0anacron, rwhod, standard

it might be worth your while going through the man pages for these--or using
any other means you can come up with--to check for version numbers and
possibly consequent dependency conflicts. it may well be that all you need to
do is force an upgrade for one or another of them. apropos cfingerd, i can't
remember the details but i do remember reading of something buggy about that.
if i were you, i would definitely check on everything that cron invokes, and
srupulously check your logs for any clue about the times the failures occur.
follow that up with a search for anything at all that might have been
modified around the same time. also, there's either an apt or a dpkg option
that spits out dependency info but i can't remember the fine points of that
right now. dpkg -C will return info on anything that hasn't been configured
properly.