Re: lm sensors and VIA chip set

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 10:47:24PM +0100, Paul Huygen wrote:
> This week I lost a mobo/processor due to a broken fan :-(. Therefore,
> I would like to monitor the processor temperature. Ti this end I tried
> to install lm-sensors and i2c-source. After Make-ing i2c-sources, I
> checked with sensors detect what modules I need. Sensors detect tells
> me that I need i2e-viapro.o. However, this module does not seem to be
> present in i2e-source. I can only find some documentation about it in
> the documentation section of lm-sensors (but no doc on how to obtain
> the module) Since the via chipset seems to me a very common set, I
> have the impression that I do something wrong. Can anybody help me and
> tell me what I should do?
>
> I run kernel version 2.2.17. The kernel sources have been patched to
> enable win4lin. I downloaded lm-sensors version 2.6.2-2 and
> i2c-sources 2.6.2-1. I have Debian version Potato, but download new
> packages from Woody.

Install lm-sensors. Go to

/usr/src

tar zxvf lm-sensors.tar.gz

cd modules
cd i2c  [build i2c stuff here - you'll need it for old kernels like 2.2.17)
[plz read installation instructions.... - opt for kernel thing and
rebuild kernel. Or module if you like]

You'll need i2c stuff before you can install any sensor bus or chip modules.

Now, let's build the lm-sensors modules:
cd /usr/src/modules
cd lm-sensors
make
cd kernel

in busses you'll find viapro bus module
in chips you'll find all supported sensors...

All you have to do then is move these modules to the kernel
directory somewhere in misc or something. Not too sure for
2.2.x kernels anymore but if you put it in one of the directories
and run update-modules..

I have these 2 installed:

mira:/usr/src/modules/lm-sensors# ls /lib/modules/2.4.17/misc
i2c-viapro.o  w83781d.o

w83781d might not work for you but then again it might.

Hope this helps a bit,
Adam