Re: ADSL with woody or what is this newbie doing completly wrong?

Stefan Ruecker <s.ruecker@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've an ADSL(PPPoE) connection but unfortunatly I am not able to setup
> woody in a manner that this connection works. Here is a small extract
> from my syslog maybe a more expirienced one can help me out:

Hello,

By checking on www.google.com, and then checking in my
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt, I found this:

108 char        Device independent PPP interface
                  0 = /dev/ppp          Device independent PPP interface

so it is the module for ppp.  But, do you have ppp built into the
kernel?  If so, I think you can disregard this error.  I get the same
message and my DSL works fine.  I built the kernel with ppp, so I know
the module is unnecessary.

> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-108
> pppd[2429]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
> pppd[2429]: Serial connection established.
> pppd[2429]: Using interface ppp0
> pppd[2429]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
> pppoe[2430]: PADS: Service-Name: ''
> pppoe[2430]: PPP session is 65108
> pppoe[2430]: Session terminated -- received PADT from peer

I get all the same lines, except the last, when I boot.  Have you been
able to successfully connect on other machines and/or other OS's?  For
example, before I started just using ppp with Debian, I was using the
roaring penguin pppoe package and that has a pppoe config script that
writes the conf file for you (/etc/ppp/pppoe.conf on my machine).
Once I ran it and gave it the right answers, it worked like a charm.
Then working from that file and other ppp example files, I was able to
get ppp to start the connection at boot time.

The next messages I get with respect to ppp are a message about
invalid pass-filter and then my session's IP addresses.  You aren't
getting to the IP assignment, so could your authentication be failing?
The rest of the setup process is a black-box to me, but there are
several things in my pppoe.conf that could be changed.  Perhaps you
could examine yours and play with some of the options?

The PADT packet simply means that the session has been terminated.  I
found this in RFC2516 [A Method for Transmitting PPP Over Ethernet
(PPPoE)] at http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2516.html.

Good luck.

Brian