Re: Unable to handle kernel paging request

"Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe@RWTH-Aachen.DE> writes:

> Hmmmm, you're making me nervous... :-(

Sorry.

> I can hardly believe it's a HW problem since the machine in question is a server
> machine that's running 24 hrs./day, and it's been VERY reliable so far. It's
> performing it's service since some years now (ok, that doesn't prevent it from
> dying some day, but...)
>
> Apart from that I haven't seen a SINGLE message from the IDE driver (like
> timeouts or read/write errors.) Shouldn't that be the case if you suspect the
> hard drive? How would I check a swap partition for errors?
>
> >What kernel version are you running?
>
> 2.4.14 with XFS. I'm planning to upgrade to 2.4.17 or 18 soon...

Ok, long story follows:
I had a System running for about 2 years 24/7 when it suddenly started
to crash randomly with simular errors. I checked memory with
memstest86 with no errors. Running badblocks on the swap-partition
found bad blocks, some more everytime i ran it.

I changed the Harddrive (to another used one), all was fine. Two weeks
later the System started crashing again. Again, bad blocks on swap
partition.

Installed SCSI Controller and Disk, after some days the machine had
bad blocks again. This time i hooked the disk to another computer ran
badblocks again -> no bad blocks found!!

Finally i installed a new board, prozessor and memory and everything
is fine since (8 weeks for now).

Ramin