Re: DHCP v3.x in woody?

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 11:42, Jeff Vincent wrote:
> Why isn't this version part of the testing builds yet?
>
> Has anyone used DHCP 3.0 on woody?
>
> I ask because I am having problems with the dhcp-dns (dynamic update)
> that I don't seem to be able to find/get help with and v3.0 supports it
> natively.  I was hoping that it would be a little easier to debug.
>
> Jeff

The mantainer of the ISC DHCP client just went through a long discusion
on the subject of version 3 on the debian devel mailing list.  You might
try looking it up.  But the quick and dirty answer is it is not going to
be in woody for various reasons.  It will aparently be in woody+1.  Also
I think he said something about some unofficial packages that he had.
If you want them I guess you could check out the devel archives and see
if he said where they were.  Also on the dhcp-dns subject.  If your
talking about redirection services like dyn-dns and hn.org you could
always use ez-ipupdate(I use it and it works just fine).  I hope I
helped some.

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu

 "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty: power is ever stealing from
the many to the few.  The manna of popular liberty must be gathered each
day, or it is rotten... The
hand entrusted with power becomes, either from human depravity or esprit
de corps, the necessary enemy of the people.  Only by continual
oversight can the democrat in office be
prevented from hardening into a despot: only by unintermitted agitation
can a people be kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty
be smothered in material
prosperity... Never look, for an age when the people can be quiet and
safe.  At such times despotism, like a shrouding mist, steals over the
mirror of Freedom"  - Wendell
Phillips