Re: OT: info on Tekram 315U and scsi in general

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 10:49:27AM +0000, Shriram Shrikumar wrote:
> I read somewhere that this card was perfect for cdrw's. Does it work
> fine with hdd's - is the performance faster than ide for hdd with this
> card ?

with ide you only access one hdd per controller simultaneously. this means
on a promise u100 you can opereate 2 hdds at full speed.

on scsi you can access all hdds connected simlutaneously.

modern harddisk transfer up to ~37 mb/s via bus. assuming 40 in our
calcualtion ide-u100 reaches it's limit with 2 harddisk, even if we assume
all harddisk deliver 33 mb/s you couldn't operate them at full speed due
to ide limits. with scsi it is different: uscsi delivers 40 mb/s -> 1
harddisk, u2w 80 mb/s -> 2 harddisks, u160 scsi 160 mb/s -> 4 harddisks.
next to come is u320 scsi.... another thing: high speed scsi controllers
have more than 1 channel. each channel supports a max of 14 devices at
- afaik - max. speed so if you have a 3 channel u160 scsi adapter - if i'm
not wrong - you could connect 12 disk at full speed simultaneously
accessed. here is the pci bus the bottle neck and therefore these adapters
require a 64 bit pci bus.

> Also, how difficult is it to fit more than 4 hard disks on a regular at
> tower case ? any ideas ?

i have 1 at tower and 1 atx tower case here, both have 6 external 5 1/4",
2 internal 3 1/2" and 2 external 3 1/2" slots.

so you can always fit 2 harddisk in the internal 3 1/2" slots and assuming
you use the external 3 1/2" for 2 fdds you have 2x 5 1/2" with cd-rom and
cd-rw, 1 with a streamer you still have 3x 5 1/2" available for harddisks
(you tough need the 3 1/2" -> 5 1/2" adapter but you could get hot swap
frames...)

so still enough room for at least 5 disks. if you REALLY need more you
should think of either a file server or a stand alone raid

hth martin
--
<martin@wuertele.net> ------------------------------ NO HTML MAILS PLEASE
             PGP/GPG encrypted and signed messages preferred