Re: dhcp-dns debugging help requested

On Thursday 24 January 2002 20:29, Jeff Vincent wrote:
> I had our dynamic dns working a few weeks ago, but I'm not
> sure when it stopped and can't figure out what is failing.
>
> I have a subnet X.Y.A.0/22 (X.Y.A.0/255.255.252.0) with static
> DNS entries for each address I have available within
> MYDOMAIN.COM (about 1000 total).
>
> I realized today that if I inadvertently set a dhcp cilent's
> host name to a name that already exists as a static DNS entry
> (hosta-1.MYDOMAIN.COM), the dynamic update will delete the
> entry when the lease expires (duhrrr!).  So to get around the
> problem, I created a new subzone called 'dhcp.MYDOMAIN.COM',
> and want to use that for all hosts getting dynamic addresses.
> However, nothing is getting updated in my new subdomain.  It
> may have stopped working before I monkeyed with it.  DHCP is
> working and handing out addresses, but the dynamic update
> doesn't happen.

I'm a real newbie at this so disregard as necessary.  I just set
this up on my small home lan (4 machines).  The server is
running Debian potato and the clients Debian woody.  I had to
add this to my /etc/dhclient.conf on the client machines for it
to update:

send host-name "a_hostname";
send dhcp-client-identifier 01:03:d0:05:b7:55:8d;

The identifier is the mac address plus a 01 prepended.  Once I
did this the updates took.  The man pages for dhclient suggest
that the default values it asks for should be sufficient (for
dhcp) but (for dyn-dns updating) I had to do these options
explicitly.

hth,
Jesse