passwd

Hello,
I have written a script perl(not very perlich ;-))  which install
n accounts but I have encountered few problems:
1 "useradd" works fine except for the password (not encrypted)
2 "mkpasswd" look nice but /etc/shadow doesn't like it's encrypted passwords ?
3 "makepasswd" create passwords accepted by /etc/shadow. Ouf!.
I have spent a lot of time with this matter, can this message avoid others
to spend time as well.
A question: what is the use of "mkpasswd" in debian (potato-woody) ?

--
Gerard