Re: Postgresql 7.1.3 debian packages for potato

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 14:38:09 -0200, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
> 	I got 7.1.3 postgresql deb sources and tried to compile and failed here:

If you are using the 7.1.3 sources from unstable, you might want to switch
to using upstream 7.1.3 plus the potato backport patch for 7.1release from
http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/potato.html . I suspect those
are easier to use on potato.

> cd /root/postgresql-7.1.3/debian/tmp/usr/lib/postgresql/lib && \
>         install -d /root/postgresql-7.1.3/debian/tmp/usr/lib && \
>         mv lib* /root/postgresql-7.1.3/debian/tmp/usr/lib && \
>         mv /root/postgresql-7.1.3/debian/tmp/usr/lib/libpgtcl* .
> mv: lib*: No such file or directory

I vaguely recall a problems in potato highlighted by trying to backport
PostgreSQL versions: building .a libraries using a construct like
	ar [options] `tsort foo.o bar.o [...]`
fails when potato's tsort encounters a cycle in the dependencies: rather
than giving a best-effort result, it gives an empty result and an error on
stderr, resulting in "empty" archives. This in turn triggered a bug in
"strip" (which failed with an obscure message about a temp file not being
found when run on such an "empty" archive).

A workaround might be to replace invocations of "tsort" with "echo".

HTH,
Ray
--
For those Unix & Linux fanatics who're feeling left out, please forward this
message to everyone you know and delete a bunch of your files at random.