persistent storage hardware: recommendations, comments, and opinions please

  dman> First my current setup:
  dman>     10GB Maxtor IDE disk
  dman>         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
  dman>         5.6G  5.1G  271M  96% /
  dman>         4.0G  2.5G  1.3G  64% /home
  dman>         125M   40k  124M   1% /tmp  (tmpfs, not on-disk)

  dman> I want to buy another disk to augment this.  There's not enough room
  dman> on this one for my music _and_ an OS (and working files -- homework,
  dman> etc).

  dman> I stopped by the local computer shops and took some notes on the
  dman> available hardware.  I'd like some comments, recommendations,
  dman> opinions, and other info you may have.  (prices in USD)

  dman> Disks :

  dman> Western Digital WD400BBRTL
  dman>     40GB, 7200 rpm, Ultra ATA 100, 8.9 ms seek time, 2MB buffer, $130

  dman> Western Digital WD180ABRTL-120
  dman>     18GB, 5400 rpm, Ultra ATA 100, 12.0 ms seek time, 2MB buffer, $80

I've never had a bad experience with WD.

  dman> The one shop also had 2 Maxtor disks, but I'm not sure I want another
  dman> one of them.

  dman> Can someone provide a comparison of Ultra ATA 100 and SCSI?  Which is
  dman> faster and/or more reliable?

I'm only using ATA66 and getting 18 MBytes/s WRITE speed.  Good enough
to capture 640x480 AVI @ 30fps.  scsi drives are always more expensive
so unless you are running a real server I'd just stick with IDE.  IDE
drives are just incredibly inexpensive these days (at least in the
US).

  dman> Does RAID restrict the combination of disks I can have?  IIRC RAID 0
  dman> is no redundancy, and RAID 1 is simply maintaining two copies on
  dman> separate disks.  If so, then wouldn't both disks need to be the same
  dman> size?

Don't think so.  You partition them and start RAID partitions.  So it
should be no problem to use different disks.  From an efficiency point
of view you want the disks to be of similar performance.  Once again,
unless you really need it I wouldn't mess with RAID.

Unless of course you just want to because you want to.

Brian