Re: Hylafax client problems

Stan Brown wrote:

> I'm tryng to set up my woody machine to send faxes (as a clinet to an existing Hylafax server).
>
> I edited /etc/hylafax/hyla.conf and added:
>
> Host:                   black
>
> Where black is the servers name.
>
> But whn I run sendfax, I get the following error:
>
> stan@teddy:/etc/hylafax$ sendfax -d 7453195 /etc/services
> textfmt: No font metric information found for "cob".
> Usage: textfmt [-1] [-2] [-B] [-c] [-D] [-f fontname] [-F fontdir(s)] [-m N] [-o #] [-p #] [-r]
> [-U] [-Ml=#,r=#,t=#,b=#] [-V #] files... >out.ps
> Default options: -f com -1 -p 11bp -o 0
> Error converting data; command was "textfmt -B -f cob -p 11 -s default >/tmp//faxsndAwqbGM

It's looking for information on the cob font.  That's supplied by the
'enscript' package, and should be in /usr/share/enscript/cob.afm.

Do you have the enscript package installed?  But that should be required
by the hylafax-client package, so I don't know why you wouldn't.

By the way, in the 'teach a man to fish' category, the way I found all
this out was:

man textfmt # Hmm, the last few lines tell me where the font files are
cd /etc/hylafax
grep cob *  # Hmm, it's showing me that the typerules file runs textfmt
using that font
less typerules # OK, yeah, that's what it's doing, to convert the text
file to postscript
ls /usr/share/encscript # Hmmm, I've got a cob.afm file in there, sure
enough

>From there, I zgrepped the Contents.gz file for Potato, downloadable
from I forget where on the Debian site, for 'cob.afm'.  Voila, it comes
from the enscript package!

Hope that helps.