Re: Configuring remote xdm

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Tim Grogan wrote:

> Hi, being a relative newbie with Debian I'm looking for some help.  I'm
> running woody 2.2.20 and KDE.  Does anyone have a step-by-step guide on
> setting up xdm to support remote x-windows sessions or that can point me in
> the right direction.  I've found a how-to that is geared for Redhat but of
> course directories and files are not the same.  Thanks in advance.

I found that using ssh was the way to go for me.

With X11Forwarding set to 'yes' on the remote server then running
'ssh -X username@remotehost' in your local XTerm will take you to the
remote server. At that point running an xclient is a simple as running
'netscape &' . There may be security implications if you don't trust
the remote system's root user but they don't concern me for my type
of use.

Hope this helps,

Terry.

Selterra Communications                       admin@selterra.com