Newbie-Question: awk: How does this wonderfull tool work?

Hi there!

At the very moment I am trying to write a shell-script.
It should encrypt (with gpg) a file, forward it to an editor and then
encrypt it again.

So far, this works. But there is an annoyance: When re-encrypting the
file (I store it on a temporary file), gpg asks for an user ID.

My plan was to store the output of the original gpg-call in a file.

That file looks that way (minus the '|'s):

|gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID 274AAD03, created 2001-12-22
|      "Andreas Maresch <a_maresch@gmx.at>"

So, all I have to do is to get the text between the first '"' and the
'<' (minus the last space).

I know that I can do it with awk, but I am too nuts to understand
the info-pages and some examples found on my disc.

Can anybody help me?

Thanx in advance

Andreas Maresch