Managing a public Debain Gnome installation

Hello everyone,

	I'm building up a box to be used publicly at our company for tasks such
as archived fax viewing/printing, web browsing, and use of image libraries.  I'd
like to have a consistent starting point for all our company's users to being
from.
	Here's my plan:

1) apt-get install like crazy to install all kinds of applications.
2) Log in as myself and configure my Gnome sessions and applications preferences
to be how I'd like them to start out for the users (of course allowing anyone to
change anything if they wish).
3) Copy most of my home directory to /etc/skel

The big problem I've run into is that some application preferences include user
and $HOME specific things.  It wouldn't be too hard to cook up a script to parse
a generalized set of preferences (Netscape 4.77's come immediately to mind) to
substitute in a new user's home dir.

	Someone must have run into this before.  What have others done?

Ross Vandegrift
ross@willow.seitz.com

PS: Please CC me - I'm not subscribed.