RE: Linux ICQ client that doesn't suck?

> > Does anyone out there use ICQ under Debian? So far I've
> > tried licq and gaim with the ICQ plugin, and both of them
> > have very annoying problems (messages get lost, or messages
> > from previous sessions get delivered again on client startup...
> > this is a problem when you have 20+ messages that come in
> > everytime you start your ICQ client).
>
> This is not a bug with licq, this is a problem with AOL.  AOL
> is attempting to kill ICQ off by making it as unreliable as
> possible. Annoy AOL if this bothers you.

That's interesting, and maybe explains some of the bizarre behavior
shown by my Trillian client.  I have seen ICQ itself fail to deliver
messages for a long time, but only Trillian "eats" my messages to other
people (actually one in particular) and it's annoying as hell.

Unfortunately Trillian hasn't been ported to Linux, but I sure hope it
does.  There's a poll question on their website of "wish-list items" and
that's one of them.  The Win32 0.71 version is great, and if it were
moved over, it would probably fit the bill perfectly in this case.
Maybe a few of us should goad them into making a Linux version?

Jeff Bonner