Re: Which Imap server

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 03:32:14PM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:

> Cyrus is also supposed to be very fast, but as it doesn't use the unix
> password database it means managing a seperate user database.  Of
> course, for many people that is exactly what is required...

It's not necessarily the case that Cyrus doesn't use the standard
/etc/passwd authentication data.  At least, that's the case in Cyrus
IMAP 2.x.  I think Debian's still on 1.something.  2.x can use PAM, so
it can pull auth info from anywhere, really.  It can use a daemon called
pwcheck to read /etc/shadow directly (necessary because it normally runs
as non-root and can't access /etc/shadow).

Cyrus is enormous, though, and is probably not a good idea to use unless
you really run a big site.  I'm having to configure it right now for an
IMAP server that's used by something like 4 people.  It's totally
overkill.  And it completely takes over the mail subsystem on the
system, so you can't access your mail at all without going through IMAP.
That's a bit annoying in my case.

noah