Re: nVidia and X problems

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, David Wright wrote:

> I am using an AGP nVidia GeForce2 MX video card and am experiencing video problems. The screen, even in text mode, shows lots of flickering, horizontal lines.
>
> The monitor is a 1600 x 1200 19" LCD; I can plug it into another machine and the image is beautiful, so I don't think the problem is in the monitor.
>
> I have two new machines which each have this card, and both show this behaviour, so I don't think the problem is in the video card.
>
> I suspect it is a driver problem. When I do lsmod, I see
> 	af_packet
> 	3c59x
> 	rtc
> 	unix
> 	ide-disk
> 	ide-probe-mod
> 	ide-mod
> 	ext2
> no video card driver! My ATI radeon system at home shows
> 	radeon
> 	agpart
> So could it be that I am using some generic driver and need to use the right one?
>
> I don't need top 3D performance, so I would prefer not have have to deal with nVidia's closed-source drivers -- isn't there also an open-source driver from XFee86-4? ("nv"?) And shouldn't the kernel load agpart to use the AGP slot? How do I get it to do this stuff?

I would suggest using the NVidia Drivers from the NVidia page. Although
they are "closed" they really work well for me and kick your video
acceleration to the limit! If you want to watch a movie in fullscreen mode
for example you could get a problem with the xfree driver sometimes.

the installation of these drivers is really no problem. just read the
Readme form their homepage.
default window-manager: look at the links
/etc/alternatives/x-window-manager and /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager
they point to your default window managers. i think if you set the
x-session-manager to gnome for instance, it should work for every user
use the commmand "ln -s", if you want to make gnome your default for
instance: "ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-session /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager" , before that you have to delete the
old link of course. "rm /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager"