small network setup tools

Hi,

Looking for a few pointers as how to best set up a small
office network.  Basically can install debian on the
machines but don't really know how to join them in the
simplest way (4 machines).  I want the server to be the
gateway to the internet.  I've tried linux conf at setting
up gateways etc but no luck.  I've also tried 'routed' (is
this the right thing?).  Can't be bother to fiddle with
'route add' every time I boot - there must be a standard
way in debian.

Also how can i set up the server to dial in to the internet
by ppp and allow the other machines to access the internet
through it.

I guess i need some pointers as to the pertinent conf files
and commands and whether there are any good config
applications out there.

Any key-words / suggestions very welcome.

Thanks Tom