Re: revision updates

Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> writes:
> I think it was just recently that rev. 5 of 2.2 came out.  If I
> perform apt-get update and upgrade, does that mean I am at rev. 5?
> Or, is there some more complex configuration involved?

You might do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' instead of just 'upgrade'.  But
yes, if you have the most recent stable versions of all of your
installed packages, you should be at Debian 2.2r5.

> I am apt to think that I am not at 2.2 r5 because when I log in,
> Linux 2.2.17 is displayed.  But then maybe this means something
> else?

It's the version of the Linux kernel your system is running; this is
mostly unrelated to the version of Debian you have.  (Debian 2.1 ran
kernel 2.0, I think, or possibly 2.2, but definitely not 2.1.)

	-- Abra Mitchell