RE: SB AUDIGY Player supported by Linux?

-----Original Message-----
From: Harris, Jason [mailto:JHarris@ESD.WA.GOV]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 1:55 PM
To: 'Stephen Gran'
Cc: 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
Subject: RE: SB AUDIGY Player supported by Linux?

> I've been thinking of getting it when it becomes available - it\ is an

> audigy card:  Shielded, not in a electrically noisy computer box, has
> tons of ins & outs, HQ sound.  Plugs directly into usb, so then link
> /dev/dsp --> /dev/usbn and I should have sound with
> naught but a usb module, which I have loaded anyways.   I think..
> has anyone else tried an external sound card on linux ?  I've seen
> another advertised on thinkgeek.

FWIW, I think you may be referring to the Extigy.  The Audigy has a card
that installs in a PCI slot, then a cable goes to an external "breakout
box" thingy (much like the Hercules Game Theater XP), or it can also be
installed in a 5.25" drive bay.  The Extigy, OTOH, is apparently a
fully-external sound card that connects via USB.

Now, I don't have any experience with the Extigy (and in fact I doubt
many people do, considering it's new).  But I would opine that ANY
audio-via-USB scheme is going to be a pain, including in Windows, much
less Linux.  Be careful.  :)

Jeff Bonner