WindowMaker is ugly!!

i'm playing with my configuration files for version 4 of X, using
WindowMaker, having somehow erased my old settings -- about 5 days
*after* i switched versions.  whatever; i don't care anymore why this
happened, but i'd like to be able to get things back to where they
were.

things progress fine until i attempt to change the background, or add
more desktops than just one, or make some moderately large change to
the appearance of X.  Before, it was fine, with grey menus and red top
bars, just like it shows in the default settings, but afterwards,
it becomes, as someone recently so eloquently put it, like it was "hit
with an ugly stick."  nowhere in the configuration settings do i see
anythign that resembles this ugly font, or large black menu titles.
to see the difference, i've taken a couple small screenshots of the
menus before and after.  they're at
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/03/nori/WindowMaker/ .

tia!  i can't at all figure out what's triggering this ...

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html