CD-ROM stopped working

My cd-rom drive has suddenly stopped working.  Whenever I try to mount a
CD I get one of the following errors:

$ mount /cdrom
mount: No medium found
$

or

$ mount /cdrom
hdd:cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd:cdrom_decode_status: error=0x31
$

Most of the time I get the first error, as if there were no CD in the
drive, but the CD is there.  I have tried several different CD's with
the same result.  If I do get the second error, it is generally right
after a reboot. I only get it once, then I get the "No medium found"
error after that.

I have checked all of the cable connections and they seem to be fine.

Does anyone have a clue what is happening?  Is my cd-rom drive going
south?  Any help appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,
m_shapiro@bigfoot.com                you will live to be 150 years old,