Re: mailfilter rule for matching address ANYWHERE in header

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 4:03 pm, Sven Hoexter wrote:

> You have to Escape the dots (.)  with a backslash (\)
>
> DENY=^for.*lunsform3459@nisbet\.compulink\.co\.uk

I'll give that a try but I'm not sure that's the problem. It had seemed to be working fine,
but now the mails are getting through. I had a look at the log, and it begins with things like things like:

-- vvv ---
+0900. [Applied filter: '^To:.*lmailfilter: 0.2.4 querying mail.cix.co.uk on Wed Jan 16 21:58:17 2
002
mailfilter: Examining 873 message(s).
mailfilter: Deleted postmaster@choischool.choischool.com: Delivery failure, Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:18
:09 +0900. [Applied filter: '^To:.*lunsform3459@nisbet.compulink.co.uk']
mailfilter: Deleted postmaster@choischool.choischool.com: Delivery failure, Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:18
:09 +0900. [Applied filter: '^To:.*lunsform3459@nisbet.compulink.co.uk']
-- ^^^ ---

which all looks very promising, but then at the end of the log it does not terminate cleanly.

-- vvv ---
mailfilter: Deleted postmaster@flypig.hanjucs.co.kr: Delivery failure, Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:52:50 +
0900. [Applied filter: '^To:.*lunsform3459@nisbet.compulink.co.uk']
mailfilter: Deleted postmaster@flypig.hanjucs.co.kr: Delivery failure, Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:54:15 +
0900. [Applied filter: '^To:.*lunsform3459@nisbet.compulink.co.uk']
mailfilter: Deleted postmaster@flypig.hanjucs.co.kr: Delivery failure, Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:54:15 +
0900. [Applied filter: '^To:.*lunsform3459@nisbet.compulink.co.uk']
mailfilter: Error: Sent LIST, but server responded with an error.
(END)

-- ^^^ ---

I'm not sure what this means, but it seems to me that these messages may not be getting deleted. Theoretically, there
will be a window after the mailfilter runs and fetchmail runs where I could get really unlucky and a load of mails could flood in,
but I think it's more likely that mailfilter is encountering problems with the mailbox.

> btw, if you get a lot of mails (me ist about 400-600 a day) it might be
> faster to do the thing with procmail. I've no flatrate (ISDN paying per
> minute) and it took me a lot of time checking 400 mail with say 30-40
> pattern. So I decided to block only aol, msn and other in the frontier and
> I'll set up the rest with procmail.

The mail address with the problem is with an ISP that doesn't offer anything like procmail. My
other 'real' ISP (www.uklinux.net) does offer procmail, so if I get any problems with that, I'll be ok.

Dougie