Re: Upgrading Kernel the Debian way?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 12:55:28PM -0800, Camilux wrote:
| Hi ppl, just wanted to know if theres a "Debian" way of upgradind
| the kernel as well.. or is it still manually downloading, unzipping,
| etc etc?

# apt-get install kernel-image-<version>-<arch>
# vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
# reboot

or

# apt-get install kernel-source-<version>
$ cd /usr/src
$ tar -jxvf kernel-source-<version>.tar.bz2
$ cd kernel-source-<version>
$ fakeroot make-kpkg clean
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --config=xconfig --append-to-version=-custom.1
                --revision=custom.1 kernel_image kernel_doc kernel_headers
# vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
# reboot

I do both of these.  I run the custom kernel made via the latter
steps, but keep a (recent) pre-packaged one just in case.

You can, of course, grab the tarball from kernel.org and do it
yourself if you like that better.

-D

--

Q: What is the difference betwee open-source and commercial software?
A: If you have a problem with commercial software you can call a phone