Library Dependencies

Hello,

I'm quite a newbie to Linux, however it has become my
primary OS. I get caught in pitfalls with regards
library dependencies. I'd appreciate if someone could
give me pointers on how I can avoid these.

I'm using Debian 2.2 and a few of the packages I want
to install require libraries that are too new and are
sometimes part of the unstable suite of Debian.
Currently I'm trying to install KDE 2.2.2 on my
system. My system has two versions of Qt, one is an
older version (2.0.xx) which I require (I think) for a
particular package I have installed. This had been
installed as a deb package and therefore shows up in
dselect. The other Qt is 2.3.xx which I installed as a
tarball. I have the enviornment variable QTDIR set to
point to this. This Qt doesn't show up in the package
database. The KDE I have downloaded is in deb packages
and requires QT > 2.2 (which I have). In similar
situations i.e. when I have some libraries on my
machine but which I'd installed as tar balls and don't
show up in my package distribution, dpkg fails to
install packages depending on these. Is there a way
where I can work around this i.e. mixing tarball
libraries and deb packages???

Also someone suggested that apt-get is a reliable tool
to prevent library dependency issues. However, I'm
having trouble using apt-get to install deb packages I
already have downloaded. It seems apt-get requires the
Packages file (even if I'm downloading directly
fromthe net thru apt-get). Therefore most of the time
I'm unable to use apt-get. I think maybe I don't
understand the proper way to use apt-get, could
someone help me if there's a way to get around the
above.

Thanks