Re: Help! Random reboots after booting

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:30:47PM +0000, Jason Wood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, for the last month or so, I have been suffering my computer
> occasionally rebooting on bootup. I only found out for sure today, because I
> normally let my computer get on with booting whilst I make a cup of tea, etc.

Does it really take that long to boot? Solution: Don't shut down :-) Or
de-install things you don't need. (deborphan and debfoster packages).
And start drinking coffee instead (see signature)...

> It seems to occur as soon as X starts - the cursor is frozen as soon as the
> graphics are initialised, and then the computer simply resets. It only ever
> seems to do this once after which it is fine, with one exception of earlier
> today, when it froze and reset after being on for about five minutes.

Sounds like a video card problem...

To make sure that it is the video card, try booting without starting X. The
method for doing this varies depending whether you xdm, gdm (or other)
or just plain old 'startx'. For gdm/xdm just put an "exit 0" at the top
(i.e. 2nd or 3rd line) in /etc/init.d/gdm or /etc/init.d/xdm.

If it still happens, then it's probably not a video card problem, and
the rest of this post will be useless for you.

> I have grepped /var/logs and there doesn't seem to be any kernel panics, nor
> does syslog, messages, etc. show up anything out of the ordinary occuring
> when the computer reboots.
>
> [...snip...]
>
> I'm using Debian Woody/Unstable with the 2.4.17 kernel, PII 350Mhz, 128 meg
> ram,
>
> cat /proc/pci shows my video card to be :
>
> ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 92).
>
> I'm not sure what other details I can give that might help explain my problem.

More details will be handy:
    - Which xserver are you running? ( dpkg -l xserver\* )

    - for version 4.*, relevant fragments of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
        - the "ServerFlags" section
        - the "Device" section for your videocard

    - for version 3.* the config file is (usually?) /etc/X11/XFConfig.
      And I can't remember which bits are relevant.

> If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason

Hope this helps

--