Re: Setting up a home LAN

steve:

i am not sure what you mean by forwarding. the two possibilities that come to
mind are mail and ip forwarding. both are rather simple.

suggestion. use kernel 2.4.x and qmail (in place of sendmail) kernel 2.4.x
will let you use iptables (better flexibility and security, though the
learning curve is steeper than ipchains, imho).

on the mail server side, use qmail and follow the directions meticulously
that are found at http://www.lifewithqmail.org/

again, qmail is far and away more secure than sendmail. and it is almost a
nobrainer to setup, if, and this is a big if, the instructions are followed.
(after banging my head against sendmail a couple of weeks, i went to qmail
and have never looked back. it now runs on all of my machines!)

qmail is at http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html

as to any other type of forwarding, i am not sure of the question. ip
forwarding is fairly trival. you don't need to set up any routes in
particular (other than the gateway, which you've properly identified!) if you
would like, i can send you my iptables setup script. (change the 192.168.10's
to 192.168.1's and you will pretty much have a base to build upon.)

as to hardware, purchase what you can afford. switches are faster than hubs
if you need the speed. i personally use netgear hubs/switches and 3com nics.
as to routers, you probably don't need one (your gateway and iptables does
that work for you!) a hub/switch/router that has a firewall in it seems to me
to be just another level of complexity that i don't need or want. my servers
are running iptables and provide that feature. if some evil one gets through
that, then it's my fault. and i would in all likelyhood made the same mistake
on the device with a built-in firewall. so why? "kiss" seems to apply here.

--
regards,
allen wayne best

Ramblers -- Don't you wish everyone had one?