Re: base files for woody?

--- "Thomas R. Shemanske" <trs@hecke.dartmouth.edu>
wrote:

> > Will this allow one to install a 2.4.x kernel as
> the
> > default kernel upon installation? Or will the
> default
> > kernel be in the 2.2.x series?
> >

> No; these CD's are built with boot-floppies, hence
> uses the 2.2.x series
> kernel.
>
> The 2.4.x kernel images will be on the CD (which you
> can install after
> the base install), but if you really need a 2.4
> kernel to boot your
> machine (I would think this most unusual), you will
> have to build a
> custom set of CDs

No, I don't need 2.4.x to boot my machine. I've just
been having problems on a laptop that started life as
potato (2.2.x kernel) and was dist-upgraded to woody
and then sid. I had been trying to install a 2.4.x
kernel from the standard debian packages and at first
stumbled over the initrd stuff and then had problems
w/ modules. Since I'm at home today caring for a sick
child, I will go over the modules and their
configuration again and the diffs between using a
2.2.x kernel and the 2.4.x kernels.

I would like to install woody and dist-upgrade it to
sid on another machine. It might be simpler on a
desktop w/o the pcmcia stuff to worry about.

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"
See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html