Re: debian-friendly DSL/cable ISP in NYC area?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Hi,  Here is an ex-ATT@HOME customer who was moved to new ATTBI.COM
> service in Northern California.  New terms of service states additional
> "no-Server" policy.  Yuck !!.  (I never signed it but sent to me when
> change happened.  So it is legally not binding.)

Here in Portland, that clause was *removed*.

> Cable is easy, I agree.  But your statement on fixed IP is not correct
> as I observe it.

@Home does static IPs exclusively.  The only time they change your IP on
@Home is when network load or maintenance dictates it.  AT&T is NOT
@Home and never will be.  Thank God.  I used to have to deal with them
from the inside...@Home did the right thing and got screwed by AT&T, Cox
and Comcast for it and I really hope they get nailed for collusion
(though if it hadn't been for that, I probably wouldn't have gotten a
better paying job, but still, it sucks when Christmas is exchanging
packs of generic cigarettes with your roommates in a cold house).

> HOME.COM -> ATTBI.COM change actually affected IP address given by DHCP
> but it has been the same IP since day 1 of ATTBI.COM service.  So
> situation is almost same as before.

True, they have their DHCP servers working correctly.

--
Baloo