Re: debian-friendly DSL/cable ISP in NYC area?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Jason M. Harvey wrote:

> dsl - the local telco is verizon. if you get their residential package,
> i'm pretty sure they use pppoe on adsl...

At least in the Portland, Oregon area they do not use PPPoE (though even
though they got the "don't use PPPoE" idea right, it doesn't stop them
from sucking hardcore).

> cable - there are at least 3 main cable providers in nj, anyway. i
> haven't heard any problems from any of them with linux.... they don't
> "support" linux, but they work. most of them use tcp/ip and no pppoe.

Cable setup is pretty straightforward.  I used to do tech support for
@Home before I got laid off and got a better paying job as a security
guard.  Other than the dying @Home network, I don't think there's a
cable network left in the US that'll do static IPs on the residential
system, though Rogers in Canada does, from what I hear.

> look into whether the roaring penguin package will work. if it's dial
> up, just check into what authentication they use.... most will be ppp,
> which the pppd package should handle nicely.

That's protocol, not authentication.  Authentication is *usually* CHAP
or MS-CHAP on PPP.

--
Baloo