Re: OT: Perl & UTF-8

Hi Jaldhar!

Thanks for your quick reply!

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> [...]
> Well, I don't exactly remember what your problem was but if it is
> converting strings from an ISO encoding to Unicode or vice-versa then yes
> they should do the trick.

My problem was that I wanted to substitute element content in XML files by
entity references. These entity references are referring to the values of
a Java .properties file that's used for i18n of our Java software. In
order to properly parse the content of an element, I need to take
different encodings into account (based on the value of the
"encoding" attribute of the XML declaration). As far as I understand, the
two Perl modules are able to set the encoding for individual strings. I'm
wondering whether there is a module that allows me to set the encoding for
a filehandle?

Thanks for any help.

Greetings,

	Holger