Re: list all packages that are installed

    Ron> On Friday 11 January 2002 05:58 pm, Stephen Rueger wrote:
    >> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 05:41:18PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
    Ron> [snip]
    >> > A problem with this is that even if COLUMNS is a huge value (from
    >> > a very large xterm window, for example), 'dpkg -l > foo' will
    >> > still create a 78 column output.
    >>
    >> 'COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l > foo'

Even better (works in zsh, no guarantees for other shells) is

  COLUMNS=$COLUMNS dpkg -l | less

which makes dpkg -l do the usually needed, use the current width (big
xterm, mainly).

Yes, setting columns to itself looks weird... guess it's not exported
or something.

Bye, J

--
               Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard@gmx.net)