Re: Strange problem with modem when computer is "off"

On 2002-01-14 03:56:35, Terence Sheridan wrote:
> For the life of me, I cannot understand why after my system goes for
> shutdown or reboot, my modem tries to connect to the phone line when
> the power management finally switches off the computer.
>
> When I reboot/turn on the computer, the modem drops the connection
> while linux loads into the system (after LILO takes control).  Then,
> everything is normal again.  It's gotten to the point that when I
> power down my computer and turn it off, I have to unplug the phone
> line to my modem so people can call me.  Quite ridiculous if you ask
> me.

Strange...

* check if there is anything in your bios that could cause this

* check your modem configuration to see if it has any option that
  might cause this (call back, wake up on call etc).

* check your box to see which processes are using /dev/ttyS0 (or
  whatever device your modem is connected to).  lsof or fuser
  might came handy.  Check what is running during shutdown to
  see if it may cause something wierd (/init.d/rc0.d and /init.d/
  rc6.d for halt and reboot respectively)... pay especial
  attention to setserial.  IRQ conflicts (/proc/interrupts)?

It would help if you could identify exactly where in the shutdown
sequence this happens.  E.g. if you watch your first console, you will
see daemons shutdown, is it before/after a particular daemon or, say,
when power is actually cut?

/Allan
--
Allan M. Wind