Re: graphical lilo

Aldous B Bernardo (aldous@edsamail.com.ph) wrote:

>      How do I configure a graphical lilo. RH and other distros have
>      this fancy graphial lilo. I personally don't need it but other
>      users of my pc ( my kid sister and my parents ) are having a
>      hard time using the text only mode in lilo. What packages do I
>      need, or how do I configure them?

You can use bitmaps with lilo version 1:22.1-1 and up. Simply create a
640x480 bitmap (uncompressed or RLE encoded) with 16 colours, then
update your /etc/lilo.conf like so:

Change the install and map entries to:
install=/boot/boot-bmp.b
map=/boot/map-bmp

Specify a bitmap:
bitmap=/boot/somebitmap.bmp

Coordinates and size of where the menu entries go
bmp-table = [x],[y],[ncol],[nrow],[xspc]

What colours should be used
bmp-colors = [fg],[bg],[sh];[h-fg],[h-bg],[h-sh]

Where the timer should be placed
bmp-timer = [tx],[ty];[t-fg],[t-bg],[t-sh]

I've put a small example on http://freakzone.net/gordon/
...also, apt-get install lilo-doc gives you an example and
documentation :)

Hth,
Gordon

--
Gordon Fraser                       "Unix is simple, but it takes
gordon@freakzone.net                a genius to understand the