Re: Strange Sound problem.....

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:22:14 +0100, Josef Oswald <oswald@chello.at> wrote:

> Hi:-)
>
> this is the situation:
>
> Soundblaster Live5.1 the driver is compiled into the Kernel, (version
> 2.5.0)
>
> XMM and the gnome-Cd-player do work fine
>
> yet some other program's don't
>
> cat /usr/share/sounds/login.wav > /dev/audio only produces some
> strange noise.... other sound-program's don't work also

Well, I believe that's correct behavior.  Try "play <file>".  I don't
think /dev/audio "understands" wav files directly.

> Is there a package I need to install?

"sox" is good for playing many types of sound files at the console.

> ( this Linux-install) was once a Progeny clone upgraded to Gnu/linux
> 3.0
>
> any pointers are appreciated :-)

A common source of sound problems is having one of these sound daemons
lock up the sound device.  This will give the peculiar behavior where
some programs can play audio files, and others can't.  The first
succeed, because they play the files through the audio daemon, rather
than directly through the device.

Esd has an option that can be specified to release the sound device(s)
after so many seconds (esd -as <SECS>). I imagine the KDE sound server
has a similar option...?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>