Re: Copying a whole subdirectory possible?

Tim locke <fbsd2002@yahoo.com> writes:

> I need to copy a whole subdirectory to another
> subdirectory...possible? (i.e. cp /home/user1/file
> /home/user2/file) as a regular user.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you're getting access denied errors, you probably don't have write
permission to directory "user2"... by default, different users don't
have access to each other's home directories.
To solve this problem, you can either make "user2" world writeable (bad
idea, especially if you're on a shared system) or you can create a
special group -- you might call it "friends" or "users" or something to
that effect -- and make "user2" writeable to members of that group.

man groupadd
man usermod
man chown

You'll probably have to log out and back in again before the new group
membership goes into effect.

HTH