DSL router and networking - Help!

I have just signed up for a wires-only adsl account with Eclipse internet
in the UK. For those of you not from the UK, wires-only has only recently
been introduced here and involves the telecoms company (BT) switching on
ADSL at the exchange. The user is required to purchase the modem and
microfilters for each extension in the house. I will have one static IP
address.

Today I received confirmation that the account has been set up and will go
live on Monday. I have ordered an Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro single-port adsl
router - DSLSource have just reduced the price to 138 quid + VAT, and
given neither SEG nor Solwise have their alternatives in stock I feel I
have a bargain. Anyway, I currently have two PCs networked and an NTL
cable modem (connected to the Linux box) which will be sent back asap. One
machine runs Linux, the other Windows.

I use Samba on the Linux box so that the Windows machine can print to the
Linux printers, and squidso that the Windows machine can access  web
sites.

In my Linux PC I have two network cards. One card is connected to thecable
modem, the other to a small 4 port Netgear hub. When I get the SpeedTouch
Pro I intend removing the second card on the Linux box since the STP can
be plugged into my hub. What I would like to do is to continue using the
networking I have already setup for file sharing and printing (though
there will obviously be some reconfiguring with there being a single nic
in the Linux box.

The quick setup guide for the STP uses DHCP as a default which would be
great apart from the fact I can't see how I would be able to network the
two machines if the IP addresses keep changing. Looking through the
manual, I see sections for all sorts of protocols. Eclipse Internet tell
me to use RFC2364 PPPoATM VC Encapsulation Multimode AutoModulation. The
nearest I can find in the STP manual is either PPoA-to-PPTO relaying or
PPP & IP routing. Which should I use? I would imagine I would need to
allocate a static IP address to each machine (ideally what I already use -
192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.0) this would surely mean that the  networking
would just carry on working.

How do I accomplish what I want to do? I am eternally grateful to anyone
who can explain what appears to me to be something of a Black Art!! Many
thanks.

BTW I am using Debian (Unstable) on my main machine and Windows 98 on the
second machine upstairs.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux