Re: exim in cron - why for dialup system?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 11:22:15PM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > Since I have a dial-up system to my isp for email collection and
> > delivery why does cron have an entry for exim? It runs whenever I
> > dial up and connect?  Should I remove this entry?
>
> Are you referring to /etc/cron.daily/exim?
>
> As far as I understand this cron.daily script is for
> routine tasks that are carried out even when the machine
> will never be connected to some network. There fore you
> should not remove that entry.  What runs every time you
> dial up and connect is etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim.

I have /etc/cron.d/exim and /etc/cron.daily/exim.

The latter is for rotating exim log files.
The former is for attempting to deliver whatever is in the
queue every half hour.

You _could_ get rid of the second item.  I've left mine there.
Sometimes I'm dialled up for more than half an hour, and
this catches stuff that might have been lying around.
Of course your ppp-up script should catch those as well.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org